Why buy Maker?
As an MKR holder, your vote can decide to:
1) Add a new collateral asset type.
2) Change the risk parameters of one or more existing collateral asset types, or add new parameters to one or more existing collateral asset types.
3) Modify the Dai Savings Rate.
4) Choose the set of Oracle Feeds.
5) Choose the set of Emergency Oracles.
6) Trigger Emergency Shutdown.
7) Upgrade the system.
About MakerDAO protocol
1) MakerDAO believes that a decentralized stablecoin is required to have anyone fully realize the advantages of digital money. The Maker Protocol employs a two-token system to achieve this vision: DAI and MKR.
2) The Maker Protocol is governed democratically. MKR allows those who hold it to vote on changes to the Maker Protocol.
3) This means that if you hold MKR, you have the power to decide key parameters of the protocol. These parameters include stability fee rates, the types of collateral which back dai, and their rates.